HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Keeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:49:34 -0800
Hi, Garrett,

My doctoral dissertation of many years ago dealt with use of space on
17th century Chesapeake plantations.  While not focused toward African
American questions, one can assume that at least some aspects of spatial
layout, use and meaning derived from their presence and their
interaction with Europeans.  I did my research at St. Mary's City in
Maryland.  The citation is as follows:

Keeler, Robert W.
     1978  The Homelot on the Seventeenth Century Chesapeake
              Tidewater Frontier.  Unpublished doctoral dissertation,
              Department of Anthropology, University of Oregon, Eugene.

Since my work is now nearly three decades old, it has been superceded
and I would at least hope, surpassed by other research in Maryland,
Virginia and elsewhere.  Still, it may prove useful in some small way in
your very interesting work.

Best wishes,

Robert W. Keeler
Instructor in Anthropology & Geography
Clackamas Community College
Oregon City, Oregon
>>> [log in to unmask] 01/18/07 6:47 PM >>>
Hello everyone,

I have been researching archaeological evidence of the use of space on
sites inhabited by enslaved Africans, primarily in the eastern United
States and the Caribbean.

I am looking for examples of projects--particularly those that might be
discussed in CRM reports, or other forms of gray literature--that
address the use of space by enslaved Africans.  I appeal to the
assembled masses on HistArch and the African American Archaeology
network to share with me or point me toward any projects that examine
the arrangement of yards, exterior spaces, or the layouts of
plantations, perhaps by the use of plowzone studies, large-scale area
studies, etc.  I have a pretty good handle on the published material, so
my hope is to get leads on unpublished work.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.  Please reply to me off list
([log in to unmask]), and I will post the feedback, if any, for those
that may be interested.

Thanks!

Garrett

Garrett R. Fesler, Ph.D., RPA
Partner & Senior Archaeologist
James River Institute for Archaeology, Inc.
223 McLaws Circle, Suite 1
Williamsburg, Virginia 23185
757-229-9485
757-229-8277 fax