Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:47:20 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (53 lines)
The ongoing stream of messages about archiving digital data includes a couple of responses about keeping hard copies in order to outlive the vicissitudes of digital technology.  With that in mind, I am forwarding to histarch (read below my "signature") a poignant and hard-learned lesson about hard copies. Clearly, diligence is primary.

Jeff

Jeffrey L. Boyer, RPA
Project Director
Office of Archaeological Studies
mail: P.O. Box 2087, Santa Fe, New Mexico  87504
physical: 407 Galisteo Street, Santa Fe, New Mexico  87501
tel: 505.827.6343          fax: 505.827.3904
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

"It might look a bit messy now, but just you come back in 500 years time."  --Terry Pratchett

Sent: Thu 4/20/2006 12:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Sad News about Mera's Collections

[This is a NMAC-L posting, do not simply "Reply" to sender.] 

It is with great sadness that I have to report the loss of a substantial archive of Dr. Harry P. Mera, longtime Curator at the Laboratory of Anthropology.  According to today's newspaper, many of his archaeological records and photographs were consumed in a storage unit fire in Taos, NM, on Tuesday.  John McKendry, great grandson of Dr. Mera and owner of the collection, stated "I stored a lot of things ...including my great-grandfather's archaeological papers and photos of Indian culture he had studied for years, which I had planned to donate to the Laboratory of Anthropology in Santa Fe that he helped found."  

I have sent a letter to Mr. McKendry asking if he had an inventory or knew what was among Dr. Mera's archives that burned.  The Lab does have large collections of his artifacts and archives but many of his field notes and photographs are missing.  Sadly, Dr. Mera's documents that burned in Taos were irreplaceable.  

There are two lessons here.  Support the Center for New Mexico Archaeology.  It will provide safe space for our archaeological legacy.  AND don't put off donating items that should be in museums and archives.  If you have or know of important archival archaeology documents, please let us know.   

Chris Turnbow 
Deputy Director 
Museum of Indian Arts & Culture 
Laboratory of Anthropology 
Department of Cultural Affairs 
[log in to unmask] 
(505) 476-1252 
PO Box 2087, Santa Fe, NM 87504-2087 (US Mail Only) 
708 Camino Lejo, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (street address for UPS, Fed-ex, etc.) 

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message. -- This email has been scanned by the Sybari - Antigen Email System. 

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message. -- This email has been scanned by the Sybari - Antigen Email System. 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2