From:
Iskender Savasir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2006 12:49:08 +0300
I am trying to explore the solo string literature pre- and post- dating
the Bach solo sonatas- my primary interest is in the modern instruments
(ie.  violin, viola and the cello) though I would like to be informed
on the viols too.  So far what I could come up with, in no sysyematic
order, are the follows.

On the viol side- I know of the Marais collections of book of viols,
some of the fantasias of Gibbon and the lovely Savall collection on the
medieval fiddle.

Moving on to the Baroque literature proper, I am told that Locatelli has
capriccios for solo violin but so far I have not been able to discover
any recordings.  Then there are the Biber sonatas for solo violin some
of which I got through the e-music.

A question that is somewhat important to my enterprise whether Telemann
composed his 12 fantasias for violin before or after Bach's work.

About the (post) romantic era (anthese are almost childhood reminiscences)
I remember the Reger sonatas and those of Ysaye- again I don't have any
recordings of those.

Any help most appreciated.

iskender savasir