Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:04:07 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

I saw what I believe to be the original one at Brookfield Zoo in the mid '80s.  It remained at the zoo until last spring when, (I've been told), they removed it.  I have a photo of it. Anyone who has seen one of my presentations knows that this is my favorite interactive exhibit.  Here's why: 1 The visitor's action IS the message.  It's not a lift flap or turn the handle to reveal the message- the action the visitor takes is the message that the exhibit is conveying.  2. Its low maintenance.  There is no such thing as an interactive that is no maintenance- but this one comes about as close as you can get.  The handrails require periodic painting maybe annually- but you can resolve that with an unpainted rail, and the acrylic bridge needs to be replaced when it gets too scuffed up- I would guess maybe every 1 or 2 years.  Here's the description: Imagine a little garden bridge -  only about 18" off the ground.  The floor is clear acrylic,  white clouds are cut out of non skid material (like they put in the bottom of a tub) and stuck to the floor to keep visitors from slipping on the clear floor.   Under the bridge is an aerial farm and city scene.

Every bridge needs a rail.  This one is not simply an arch (like the floor) but has a wave shape to it.  So imagine looking at the bridge from the side, and drawing a series of  waves where the bridge rail would be.  The waves are rounded at the crest.

When a bird moves it's wing- it makes a figure 8.  If  you were to rest your hands on the rail and drag your hands on the rail as you walk.... the tips of your fingers / your hands will make a figure 8.

As I said earlier: I have a photo and would be happy to send it to anyone who wants to see it.
Monica
Monica Post, Director
MPR Museum Consulting
Your Key to Exhibit Success!
www.MPRconsultants.com
       and
Camp in a Can
The First All Inclusive Day Camp Curriculum
It's All in the Can! 
www.CampinaCan.com

105 NE 64th Street
Des Moines, IA 50327
Phone: (515) 265-4837
Fax: (515) 265-2404
Cell: (515) 249-2222

More information about the Informal Science Education Network and the
Association of Science-Technology Centers may be found at http://www.astc.org.
To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2