ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Monica Post <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:04:07 -0600

I saw what I believe to be the original one at Brookfield Zoo in the mid '80s.  It remained at the zoo until last spring when, (I've been told), they removed it.  I have a photo of it. Anyone who has seen one of my presentations knows that this is my favorite interactive exhibit.  Here's why: 1 The visitor's action IS the message.  It's not a lift flap or turn the handle to reveal the message- the action the visitor takes is the message that the exhibit is conveying.  2. Its low maintenance.  There is no such thing as an interactive that is no maintenance- but this one comes about as close as you can get.  The handrails require periodic painting maybe annually- but you can resolve that with an unpainted rail, and the acrylic bridge needs to be replaced when it gets too scuffed up- I would guess maybe every 1 or 2 years.  Here's the description: Imagine a little garden bridge -  only about 18" off the ground.  The floor is clear acrylic,  white clouds are cut out of non skid material (like they put in the bottom of a tub) and stuck to the floor to keep visitors from slipping on the clear floor.   Under the bridge is an aerial farm and city scene.

Every bridge needs a rail.  This one is not simply an arch (like the floor) but has a wave shape to it.  So imagine looking at the bridge from the side, and drawing a series of  waves where the bridge rail would be.  The waves are rounded at the crest.

When a bird moves it's wing- it makes a figure 8.  If  you were to rest your hands on the rail and drag your hands on the rail as you walk.... the tips of your fingers / your hands will make a figure 8.

As I said earlier: I have a photo and would be happy to send it to anyone who wants to see it.
Monica
**********************************
Monica Post, Director
MPR Museum Consulting
Your Key to Exhibit Success!
www.MPRconsultants.com
       and
Camp in a Can
The First All Inclusive Day Camp Curriculum
It's All in the Can!
www.CampinaCan.com

105 NE 64th Street
Des Moines, IA 50327