ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erin Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:18:26 -0600

The website link did not work so I wasn’t sure what type of activities
about water you wanted.  Understanding the properties of water is
important to life.  If you have something that is as vital to life as
water but do not understand it you can take it for granted.  So if you
are talking about life and water there are other activities for that as
well.  Understanding the water cycle is vital.  There are dozens of
activities about the water cycle. Many can be found on the web just by
searching.

You can do the standard cloud in the jar.

You can take a picture and fill it up to a marked spot.  Then pour the
water into different labeled cups (ocean, river, cloud, lake, etc.) the
students have.  They then share the water around to each of these cups.
At the end you have them all pure their water back into the picture and
the water level is the same.  This emphasizes the cycle of the same
water. We have to take care of our water because we don't get any more.

Create your own watershed by using an aluminum pie pan, crushed aluminum
cans with aluminum foil across the top creating mountains and valleys.
You can then sprinkle whatever pollution you want on there (cinnamon,
vanilla, choc. syrup, etc.)  And then spray water (rain) on there.

Activities looking at cultural and social aspects of water and the
development of cities around water. Look at a map of Egypt, then look at
a population density map of Egypt.  Using tape on the floor tape out the
rough perimeter of Egypt and the Nile river.  First have everyone spread
out around the whole inside of the tape.  Then have them all crowd
around the "Nile River".

I’ve done these activities and have written the activities for lessons
but I do not have them available on a website.  Yet many of the
activities I have obtain through a website and other source.  These are
just a few of the rough ideas that I remember from the activities. I'm
sure there's more activities, but I hope these help.

Erin Martin
Distance Learning Educator
Discovery Center of Springfield
438 E. St. Louis