ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alexis Abramo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:24:44 -0500

I have been doing some informal polling among teachers I know and have
found that in addition to the high cost of transportation, many schools
are also experiencing a reduction in the overall budget, and therefore
have less money to spend on "extras."

Additionally, I believe there are two reasons to blame the No Child Left
Behind legislation.

First, because of NCLB's focus on testing, many teachers are dropping
the fun, hands-on stuff to focus more time on test materials and
test-taking skills.

Second, and maybe more importantly: the focus on testing and meeting a
minimum academic level means that schools must spend more of their
budgets getting every kid up to speed.  I wholeheartedly agree that we
need to make sure all students reach a minimum level but there is an
unintended result.  Creating academic requirements without providing
financial resources to help reach them means that schools are
transferring their limited resources away from enriching activities for
all students and focusing them on students who need to catch up.
(Witness: the drop off in arts programs, field trips, etc.)

Another good reason why even informal educators should get involved with
educational policy!

Alexis Abramo
Education Program Coordinator
Sciencenter