ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:03:53 -0500

> Here is some Science for you.  I have seen time and time again where a
> person has gone to the doctor and there is a tumor in their body.  The
> doctor with their great scientific technology is 100% sure there is a
> tumor there.  The person gets prayed for by faithful Christians.  They

Where's the science?

We've covered the topics mentioned in this recent post quite thoroughly in
both our _Skeptical Inquirer_ magazine and our _Scientific Review of
Alternative Medicine_ journal. Not many of the articles are available online
but here are some you may find of interest.

The science of prayer:
http://www.csicop.org/sb/2001-12/reality-check.html

http://www.csicop.org/si/2004-09/miracle-study.html
http://www.csicop.org/si/2005-03/miracle-study.html
- these are on the well-known Columbia University Miracle Study on the
effects of praying

The famous case of Audrey Santo:
http://www.csicop.org/si/9909/santo.html

An article on the placebo effect:
http://www.csicop.org/si/9701/placebo.html

Why bogus therapies seem to work:
http://www.csicop.org/si/9709/beyer.html

I don't necessarily doubt all of the claims that are currently described as
"paranormal" or "supernatural" - I simply think that their mysteries will
eventually be uncovered by science - we just haven't got there yet. I think
that if some of these claims have any basis whatsoever, that basis will have
a natural explanation and all of the details of the phenomenon will be
grounded in our physical reality .. we just need to investigate further and
not settle for the types of non-answers that provide no explanation but
simply resort to a form of magic beyong our ability to comprehend. "Such is
the mystery of god," "it's a miracle," etc.

That said, I hope your beliefs, that are lacking in evidence, do not effect
your ability to be a good science educator.

Respectfully,
Amanda

***

Amanda Chesworth