From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 22:29:45 -0400
Excuse me for being picky, but if we are going to
use this very handy tool, we need to give credit
where credit is due.

I have seen powdered sugar dusting for varroa control
labeled the "Dowda Method" multiple times in the past
2 years, and I am concerned that proper credit is not
being given to the researcher having priority in this
specific area.

The University of Helsinki (Finland) awarded a PhD to
Kamran F. Fakhimizadeh, based in part on his thesis:
"Detection of major mite pests of Apis mellifera
and development of non-chemical control of varroasis"

Dr. Fakhimizadeh published his work in American Bee
Journal (June 2000) and the refereed journal Apidologie
(Issue 2 of 2001).   He even posted a few comments to
Bee-L back in May 2001 about his work.

While Mr. Thomas Dowda, Agriculture and Consumer Protection
Supervisor with the state of Florida did write a 2004 ABJ
sidebar on the subject, I am sure that he would not want
to be put in the position of looking like he is trying to
steal Dr. Fakhimizadeh's thunder.

While it was well-known for some time that just about
any substance (even sprayed water!) introduced into a
hive can increase the varroa drop above "natural" levels,
Dr. Fakhimizadeh went to the trouble to look at tarsal
pads of varroa mites, and work out the exact range of
particle sizes required to clog the tarsal pads.  He
thereby created the first viable non-toxic "weapons system"
targeted at varroa.

One big problem is that I don't know how to pronounce
"Fakhimizadeh" either, and this may be what prompts people
to call the approach "The Dowda Method".  But it ain't
Dowda's method, and people need to be recognized for
their work if they are to survive in the take-no-prisoners
business of research.

Its cheap, it works, it is non-toxic, and it can be done
with easy-to-find materials by unskilled personnel.  I think
it is worthwhile to at least give proper credit for the
thought that went into it.