HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:40:33 -0400

In a message dated 4/24/2006 4:09:36 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

There is  not a great deal on slag. Unfortunately many archaeologists
don't  even collect it. And if they do they seldom ever either
describe it  or have it analyzed. It is commonly mischaracterized as
"clinker".

Guilty as charged! The 1989-1995 investigation of an 18th century Spanish
cannon battery included part of a 19th century blacksmith shop (protruding from
under a fire station building) at CA-SDI-12,000 (Spanish cannon battery,
whaling  station, U.S. Army post, now a U.S. Navy base). We classed all the
blacksmith  waste as clinkers in ignorance of the proper terminology. But to our
credit, we  saved every last bit of the waste and it is curated on the base in
the  underground bunker that serves as the collection storage unit; Ballast
Point  Repository (HVAC for 55 degress and 60% humidity).

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.