HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:17:34 -0400
Keep in mind that charcoal doesn't transport well at all.
Interestingly, and I don't know the dates, American railroads built
special cars to move charcoal. Moving it on anything but a paved road
or by RR is limited to about 5 miles before the charcoal is too
pulverized to be of use.

One of the advantages to coal is that it is structurally stronger.
This allows for long distance transport and also higher columns in
smelters and other furnaces. Taller is generally more efficient
(longer dwell time for the charge allows more complete heat transfer
and less exhausted out the top).

James Brothers, RPA