HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:03:38 -0400
Larry,
I'm going to try to be polite, but I assume from your post that you have
never had any professional training in Archaeology, or seen the various
codes of ethics published by both professional and responsibile amateur
organization. I strongly recommend you take some basic course work in
archaeology and review the ethics codes, and it will become very clear to
you why archaeologists become so upset about collectors. If they actually
collect, they do not help, they destroy a non-renewable resource base -- yes
even those plowed fields lose their contextual integrity when selectively
vacuum-cleaned by "hobbyists".

Consider the standard old canard about a vandal walking into a museum and
ripping the paintings off the well because he needed some canvas rags to
clean his house-painting brushes. "Gosh, I didn't mean any harm; they were
just hanging there!".

If you think this is sarcasm, please don't come to Virginia.

Tim T.