HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ben Ruset <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:49:43 -0400
Hi All:

I'm in the process of writing an article on the bog iron industry in the
New Jersey Pine Barrens for my website, and had a few generic questions
related to blast furnaces, forges, and slag. If someone can point me to
some good source material, or even answer my questions, I'd be much
indebted.

Firstly, there is definitely a difference in the type of slag that is
produced by a blast furnace and a forge. Within the scope of furnace
slag, it appears that the slag is different depending on whether the
furnace used the cold blast method, or the hot blast method. From my
understanding, cold blast furnaces tended to produce very rocky,
metallic slag that in some ways resembled pyrite in texture and form.
Hot blast furnaces produced slag that is almost glass-like. Is my
assumption correct?

Forge slag seems to look just like you would expect a pool of cooled
iron to look like. It is smooth in texture, without a lot of visible
impurities (ie: no unburnt charcoal, etc.) Are there other ways of
telling if forge slag is in fact forge slag?

I have seen varieties of cold blast slag and forge slag, and what I
assume to be hot blast slag, although it was at a site that I was
unaware used hot blast technology.

Secondly, when it comes to forges, it seems that many had both a
stamping mill as well as a tilt hammer. The thing that I am unclear on
is what the main difference in the finished product of both were. I have
scoured "Early Forges and Furnaces in New Jersey" but it is pretty
unclear to me what the main differences are. If anybody can shed some
light on the subject, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Ben Ruset