HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:28:27 -0600
When I was about 7 in 1955 in Omaha, boys played with marbles and
YoYos and girls jumped rope, hopscotched and played with dolls &
Jacks.  We would often "liberate" their jacks for use as tank traps
with plastic army men.  We also built zip guns out of old gunstocks or
broom sticks with plain metal pipe as a barrel and empty lipstick
containers for cartridges.  When we could not get M-80s or cherry
bombs for powder, we cut off the heads of matches and ground them up
to stick in the lipstick cases. We never got a firearm that would
actually hit anything but the BOOM was highly satisfactory to a 7 year
old.  Base ball was the top spot if you could find enough kids who had
gloves, a ball or the very expensive, real "Louisville Slugger",
wooden bat.

Smoke

--
Smoke Pfeiffer
845 Cagle Rock Road

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
---Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis---