HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:40:45 -0500
On the issue of house numbers, the first numbers applied to subdivisions in
the 1926 community of Kensington (San Diego, California) were random because
the  houses were all custom and many vacant lots existed for a number of years.
 Around 1938, the City of San Diego (for reasons unknown) changed all those
addresses and created a more systematic set of addresses. Were it not for the
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps that listed both addresses (and thus became the
"Rosetta Stone" of local history), no one today could connect names with
street  addresses. Still though, street addresses were not uniformly applied
throughout  the region and many did not begin to appear until the 1950s. None the
less,  houses with names other than the occupants were rare. Since I began this
post  with houses by names, I should list those that I do know: La Casa de las
Siete  Candelas; Villa Montezuma; Page Manor; and Sea Bluff. Undoubtedly,
more will be  revealed in time.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.