HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 08:31:19 -0800
In some of Houston's inner city neighborhoods, with older (75 yrs or so)
brick houses, there are, or were, many houses with women's first names
written in over the front entrances -- usually in a tile panel embedded in
the brick. We were once told that these were called "dowry houses", but
never did find out more. My husband has a small database (with pics) which
lists as many as he could find as of about 10 years ago -- many are no
longer standing. If someone wants to see that, let me know off list.

carol

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
1638 Branard, Houston, Texas, 77006, USA
(713) 523-2649
www.publicarchaeology.org