HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:55:58 -0400
Joe Jones wrote:
From:    "Joe B. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Frozen Dead Soldier at Sequoia National Park

My understanding is, once Army property, always Army property (unless
sold
by the Army as surplus).

CORRECT, if you expand to "military": This also includes military materiel
captured from the military of other nations during armed conflict, such as
the CSS Hundley, and the captured German munitions we are recovering at the
Former Nansemond Army Depot in Suffolk, VA, where they are being removed
after being brought thither and "demilitarized". Remember, when you sign on
the dotted line, it includes your body.

This is why the Department of Defense remains liable for for its "unexploded
ordnance" with no time or location limit. The recovery of this dangerous
material is an unsung public benefit provided by the U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers (we get enough bad press as it is).

Tim T.