HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 04:07:07 -0400
Vergil,

Well, to me sixty years is old enough to protect the artifacts associated
with the soldier. We know his remains will be identified and then buried
according to custom. Most people will be surprised to learn that even during  World
War II, uniforms differed substantially from unit to unit and state to  state.
The uniforms worn in various campaigns differed and many units had to
acquire replacement material from other nations' armies (a friend, for example,
acquired British uniforms and put his own insignia in Burma-China). Given this
information, I am thinking the particular artifacts found with the dead soldier
 could be significant historical items that might contribute to our
understanding  of some aspect of World War II. The story aired once again today and CNN
 reported it as well. The film showed at least three archaeologists troweling
 snow away to reveal anything associated with the body.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.