HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:24:22 -0400
Nicely organized and presented.

D. Babson.

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
praetzellis
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: 19th-cent. data on line

The San Francisco SF-80 Bayshore project report (paid for by our friends
at the California Dept of Transportation) is now available for your
downloading pleasure at
http://www.sonoma.edu/asc/publications/sf80bayshore/index.htm

Several important collections from well-documented mid/late 19th century
San Francisco households are presented in the same format as our Cypress
/ West Oakland data.   Bruce Owen's statistical analyses reveal
intriging differences between these remains and those from across the SF
Bay in Oakland (so much for the "redundant data" critique).  The nifty
one-page summary snapshots are sitting at
http://www.sonoma.edu/asc/publications/sf80bayshore/Appendix_C.pdf

A concluding essay by yours truly at the end of
http://www.sonoma.edu/asc/publications/sf80bayshore/Chap11.pdf
reconsiders the concept of scale in urban archaeology and reflects on
the potential of quantitative methods to reveal previously unrecognized
emic patterns. (Ohmagawd,  I'm starting to channel Stanley South.)

And there you have it.

Adrian Praetzellis
Sonoma State University
California, USA