From:
Bill Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:23:10 -0500
I am working on a beekeeping project in Eastern Europe in which we have
sponsored organic certification for approximately 2000 beekeepers.  I have
run cost of production analysis on the organic and conventional beekeepers
in the project and though the organic production costs are slightly
higher, the returns justify the expense and the bees appear to be
healthier.

I just returned from Biofach 2006 - THE organic trade fair in Europe - in
Nuremburg Germany, and I must say that organics have arrived in Europe.
Biofach was huge, with any organic food product imaginable (including
clothes), and the people displaying and attending were all about
business.  We were able to negotiate contracts for selling organic acacia
and linden honey for a 30% premium over conventional honey.

I heard a presentation at the ABF meeting in Louisville characterizing the
European organic system (regarding honey) as being driven by residue
analysis, not record keeping and certification.  The speaker was
misinformed.  The organic beekeepers we work with keep extensive hive
records and go through annual inspections by the certifying agency.  The
buyer that purchased organic honey from our clients at Biofach had run the
honey through a lab, but only for physical and chemical analysis - they
trusted the certification program.

I think the European food market is much more sophisticated than the U.S.
food market and organic honey is being produced and sold in Europe.  It is
difficult to say if the organic program is sustainable, but if the price
holds up and the bees (and beekeepers) continue to look good, it is hard
to argue with success.

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC