HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
erik phaneuf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:05:33 -0400
Bonjour  to you all and sorry for cross posting,

I need some help identifying ceramics found at the Mecatina underwater site on the north shore of the Saint-Lawrence River, Basse-Côte-Nord, Québec, Canada.  From what we know so far, the site is probably Basque and should date from around the middle of the 17th century or maybe earlier. Hopefully with the marking on one of the ceramic we will be able to have a more absolute dating of the site.

In the pictures two different potteries are shown. The first is a common ware decorated pot with markings on the top of the handles.

The other is an hand painted Faïence porringer.  These two examples represent the most diagnostic pottery from the site.

Is there any equivalent out there that I don’t know about, and if so, any bibliographic references.

Thank you for your help

Image links:

The tin glazed hand painted porringer

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/e_phaneuf/Harrington200706057Small.jpg