HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:36:27 -0700
I would think we would see (maybe some of you do?) gnawing on large
bones then.

I've seen dog-chewed mammal bones in the backyard (and many 'disappear'
eventually, if they arent massive bones).  This would be easily evident
on the food refuse bones found at sites...if theses animals were also
around, eating the chicken bones.
We would also find splintered bone (from animal jaws)...IF they didn't
consume it all.  And our faunal analyst could tell bone split with flesh
on it (human butchering techniques)...from bone split (by teeth) after
the fact (after cooking)...I think.