HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:36:26 -0500
Carl,

Was Rev. Le Jau operating an SPG mission? If so, perhaps his abode was
"beyond the settlements" and that's why he experienced so many atrocities
"at his door?"

I think Thomas Jefferson aptly characterized the SPG missionaries as
"Anglican Jesuits," and considered them the bulwark of support for the Crown
diring the times leading-up to the Revolution (at least in New England).

But, here again, South Carolina was a distinctly different animal. Whereas
the northern/Tory SPG continuously petitioned London for a bishop, one
prominent South Carolina Anglican advised that it would not be safe for a
bishop to set foot in Charleston:

http://books.google.com/books?id=-tsir90xfo4C&pg=PA197&lpg=PA197&dq=spg+anglican&source=web&ots=y9HCYdMRsn&sig=rvGcE4N-6HfG-tHExas0RFXXG5I

I, for one, will be most interested in what understandings come forth from
your further readings of Le Jau.

Bob Skiles

Kind of hard to get a handle on what to believe