HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 18:47:24 -0400
"Alternatively, the scallop resembles the Setting Sun, which was the
focus of the pre-Christian Celtic rituals of the area. To wit, the
pre-Christian roots of the Way of St. James was a Celtic death journey
westwards towards the setting sun, terminating at the End of the World
(Finisterra) on the "Coast of Death" (Costa de Morta) and the "Sea of
Darkness" (ie, the Abyss of Death, the Mare Tenebrosum, Latin for the
Atlantic Ocean, itself named after the Dying Civilization of
Atlantis). The reference to St. James rescuing a "knight covered in
scallops" is therefore a reference to St. James healing, or
resurrecting, a dying (setting sun) knight. Similarly, the notion of
the "Sea of Darkness" (Atlantic Ocean) disgorging St. James' body, so
that his relics are (allegedly) buried at Santiago de Compostella on
the coast, is itself a metaphor for "rising up out of Death", that is,
resurrection.[citation needed]"

http://www.answers.com/topic/scallop?cat=health

Taken ill? Or perhaps to be infected? In the language of a cleric of St. James?