HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:53:13 -0500
 He likely meant "sliced or cut up," describing the appearance of the flesh
after a severe lashing (viz: scalloped potatoes). Does the corpus of the
good Reverend's writing display any confusion of words and/or bad spelling?
If not, then I'll bet if he had meant scalped, he would have written
scalped.

American Heritage Dictionary:

scalloped - transitive verb - 3. to cut meat into thin boneless slices