HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:59:41 -0400
My comments are most relevant to prehistoric Native American
archaeology, but it sounds as if the project that Julie describes is all
encompassing.

The pace of compliance related archaeology, at least in the Northeast,
seems to be outstripping any one individual's ability to keep up with
it, recognize significant new data or interpretations, and synthesize
these nuggets into existing frameworks. For a while, various states
compiled annual collections of the abstracts of CRM projects with
archaeological components as a way of alerting the larger community to
what was going on - a lot of work, and many abstracts proved too vague
to really alert folks to the treasure that might lurk inside of the
larger reports. What I found very useful was an approach taken at the
2006 meeting of the Eastern States Archaeological Federation. There was
a day-long session during which reps from various SHPOs presented the
highlights of what they identified as significant compliance work
completed over the past year, and its impact on current understandings
of issues, cultural history, etc. It would great if sessions like this
could become a standard part of any regional or state-based conference.

In recent years I've informally discussed the idea of states providing
grant monies to individuals who would review CRM/archaeology reports,
find the "nuggets", and create reports or a series of papers that would
blend the new findings into existing frameworks. One problem with such
an approach is that the review/synthesis project would be competing for
the same funds as research projects whose result/product might be more
well defined and predictable. If the review/synthesis approach is to
work, it seems that a separate source of funds is necessary.

Michael Stewart
Department of Anthropology
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA 19122