HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 17:55:07 -0500
Pat wrote:

Indeed ... : Micheline Nilsen <[log in to unmask]> writes (I should have
quoted this the first time - much more explicit than my rememberance:

"For a paper on gardens adjoining railways, I would be interested in
any instances of gardens on or near railway lands in the US or
Western Europe you may be aware of. Also, any literature, even
unscholarly, would be welcome."

I asked her what she meant by a garden, and it includes the full run
from the allotment to the landscaped parkland, via the cemetery (I
commute to work on what was once the Necropolis Railway!).

Tim T. says - The Richmond (Virginia( Street Car system was one of the
earliest electric systems in the country. It's 'powerhouse' was the
beginning of the Virginia Dominion Power Co. I'm flying from memory, but it
crossed the James River into Manchester, and it's initial destination was
the Forest Hill Park, a landscaped park along the James River. City dwellers
could escape the city to this bucolic setting, and the trolley quickly
served the more important function intended by it's builders, of opening
large tracts of land (that they owned) for suburban development. Don't have
any standard references on the history of the city at hand, but there are
several which cover this.

I vaguely recall something similar may have happened in Atlanta, as well,
but recall no details.

Tim T.