HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Brad Holderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:14:00 -0800
Paul/Ron,

Without seeing the prints, from my experience with
blueprints, they tend to have a history of being
rolled up (tightly) for periods of time.  We struggle
with prints only a few months old.  The acidity
(again, a guess without seeing them) is the result of
a cheap diazo process from the 30's, i.e. getting
cheap copies.

As posterity goes, scanning is a must once items are
flattened.

In regards to Ron's results so far, one wonders when a
paper product becomes historically significant.  As a
blueprinter (I'm the ex-archaeologist), struggling
with difficult items simply provides a result of
better service.

I'm not bidding on a job here, rather coming from a
different point of view from Paul.  However, I sit in
my office constantly thinking of how I can take this
blueprint/imaging thing and move back towards
archaeology and architectural conservation.

Now, I'm starting ramble a bit.

So for now, cheers, and I appreciate the matter being
brought up as a whole.

--- Paul Scotton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Ron,
>
> I always find it remarkable when people and
> instituitions
> can walk away from opportunity as too being too much
>
> bother.  I have a couple of ideas in mind of
> individuals
> and institutions.  It would seem that it would be
> best to
> keep these drawings in state.  University libraries
> would
> be a good place to start.  You might try contacting
> special collections at UCSD.  They or SDSU would be
> the
> natural repository for such things.  I'll be at UCLA
> this
> afternoon for a lecuture and I wll ask colleagues
> there
> what they think.     They have a very active
> architectural
> historian.  Also, this is something the Getty might
> be
> interested in.  They specialize in conversvation.  I
> have
> a friend who is a curator there, I can ask her who
> you
> should approach.  As for me, I teach at CSU Long
> Beach.
>  If neither UCSD nor UCLA nor the Getty show any
> interest,
> I can ask question here.
>
> Flattening the drawings is not expense.  Where the
> conservator would come in is to deal with acidic
> paper.  I
> work in Ancient Corinth in Greece and we have drawer
> after
> drawer of old (100 years +) drawings that are
> holding up
> fine.  I suspect it would not be too large of a bill
> preserve and conserve your drawings.
>
> After the lecture today I'm off to the Bay Area to
> attend
> a wedding but contact me again early next week to
> see if I
> have learned anything.
>
> Good luck in hunt.
>
> Paul
>
> Paul D. Scotton
> Associate Professor of Classical Archaeology and
> Classics
> Classics
> California State University
> 1250 N. Bellflower Blvd.
> Long Beach, CA 90840-2404
>

> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 03:18:25 -0500
>   Ron May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Paul,
> >
> > Greetings and thanks for the tip. We took the
> plans to
> >the San Diego
> > Historical Society thinking they would be helpful
> and
> >ready to accept them for  their
> > collections, but the archivist rejected them as
> too much
> >bother (and  because
> > they want to make money selling copies right
> away). We
> >were sent packing  to
> > find a conservator, but the Balboa Art
> Conservation
> [...]

Cheers,

Brad Holderman
619.994.6686
"Dear Jack, We have a ship, Surprise, for the East Indies, and must join at Plymouth instantly..."
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/multimedia/star/