HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Brad Holderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:04:45 -0800
Ron,

Being a San Diegan myself, I appreciate the history
lesson.  Now that things are a bit more clear as well,
would we be talking gardens or landscaping?  And is
there a considerable difference?

--- Ron May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> During the development of the interurban electric
> rail system in San Diego,
> California, John D. Spreckels and his colleagues
> developed the famous Mission
> Cliffs Gardens on the edge of an upland overlooking
> Mission Valley and the
> San  Diego River to the north. This right angle turn
> on the San Diego Electric
> Railway was less than one mile from the trolley
> barns. During the 1915-1916
> Panama-California Exposition, this was a primary
> sight-seeing stop and a great
> many tourists actually bought land in the
> surrounding University Heights
> neighborhood. People from all over the region would
> take the trolley to the
> Mission Cliffs Gardens to walk on the paths, relax,
> read, and just stare out the
> views. During the Great Depression, the gardens fell
> into ruin and the
> property  sold for a housing project. The perimeter
> stone walls and an internal
> garden  circular wall have been landmarked and are
> protected. The trolley line
> ceased in  1949, when President Isenhower ordered
> the Interstate freeway system to
> replace  aging interurban rail lines across the
> nation (some think the
> emerging auto  industry, tire industry, and oil
> industry lobbied him to make that
> policy).
>
> Ron May

Cheers,

Brad Holderman
619.994.6686
"Dear Jack, We have a ship, Surprise, for the East Indies, and must join at Plymouth instantly..."
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/multimedia/star/