HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:47:50 -0400

In a message dated 4/22/2006 4:41:28 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

suspect  that most of you are aware of this issue. Seems appropriate to our
discussion.
gail  carbiener

http://crm.cr.nps.gov/issue.cfm?volume=25&number=02
==================

Although I never considered myself an "ARPA Warrior," I did get involved in
a sting operation on a kelp harvesting company that brought Mexican artifacts
up  to the United States on trucks piled high in smelly rotting sea weed. It
took no  time at all to get them to brag about skirting the International
treaties by  bringing stuff (including historic artifacts) into the States and then
selling  them on the collector market. Believe me, if a Civil War artifact
can bring  $12,000 in America, it can bring a lot more on the international
market. And,  you can make bail pretty fast on a day's illicit digging of a Civil
War  battlefield.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.