HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Redwine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:40:16 -0600
I have to note that my remembered dates for the mill were also wrong it
dates 1900-1914 in the town of Sanford.  I'll make sure I have an actual
source in front of me instead of relying on memory in the future.  As for
the type of mill, it was a modest sized steam mill with brick foundations,
about as permanent as any mill could be in such an extractive industry.  It
had its own railroad, with some information on it in "Logging railroads of
Alabama" by Lawson.  We already have some pictures of mills and plans giving
the layouts.  I'll have to get Gilmer; his book is in the university library
here.  We found tremendous quantities of ferrous metal, much of it fragments
of curved sheet or plate metal.  We also found an intact stoneware liquor
jug from a wholesaler in neighboring Andalusia Alabama.

Sincerely,

Charles P. Redwine
Lab Director
Panamerican Consultants, Inc