HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:40:07 -0700
I've forgotten who started this thread, but see below...

If anyone isinterested in giving a presentation on this topic, I am helping
to organize the May, 2006, annual meeting of the US Branch of the Western
Front Association here in Denver.  Anyone who would like to speak on this
subject should contact me soon.

BTW -- -

OTF = "Over the Front,"  the quarterly journal of the League of WW I
Aviation Historians.  An excellent resource for students WW I in the air.

Carl Barna
Lakewood, CO
----- Forwarde

> Thanks for copying me on this research report of Alexander's.  I don't
have
> his email and he doesn't seem to be included here, so if you wouldn't
mind
> passing something along, I'd appreciate it.  Two things actually.  First,
> know I've seen an aerial photo of a WWI German airfield with concrete
> runways.  It was laid out in the shape of an asterisk so the planes could
> take off and land using whichever runway was appropriate given the wind
> direction.  The concrete runways were built to accommodate the heavy
German
> giant bombers.  I believe the photo might be in OTF Volume 6, Number 1,
the
> issue H. Hugh Wynne produced mapping WWI aerodromes, but I'll look when
I'm
> home later tonight and let you know for sure where it can be found.  The
> other thing is that I'd like to ask if Alexander might be willing to work
> his paper into an article for OTF?  I've always liked to use articles
that
> consider WWI aviation from fresh angles and, though Hugh drew incredible
> maps, they were offered simply to show where the fields were located and,
in
> a few cases where Hugh had a good bit of detail available, what the field
> itself looked like.  He did not offer comments from the prospective that
> Alexander is pursuing and, as far as I know, nobody else has done so
either,
> at least not in anything I can remember reading.  I'm not up again as
issue
> editor for a little while (actually, I'm not sure when), but since the
> research doesn't seem to be finished yet, that's probably not a problem.
> Anyway, if he's willing to do the article, I'd like to have it to
publish.

> Jim
>

> > It would be interesting to look at the two main airfields from that era
> > Point Cook and Richmond which slightly pre date the formation of the
RAAF
> > in
> > 1919.
> >
> > From a quick look at photos it seems that the hard surfaces were as one
> > might expect around the hangers and other service facilities. Runways
and
> > taxiways were rolled grass. The bases constructed in the late 1930's
such
> > Amberley, Canberra and Wagga Wagga all seemed to have grass strips.
> >
> > In Australia this seems to have persisted until WWII. I seem to recall
> > seeing newsreels of WWII fighters both German and British taking off on
> > grass fields.
> >
> > Certainly emergency airfields like Hoxton Park on the outskirts of
Sydney
> > (1942) were constructed from crushed gravel which formed the runway and
> > taxiway. Having had the opportunity to dig this one I can report that
> > crushed gravel was all there was.
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> > Iain Stuart

Some