HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 19:44:07 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Greetings fellow HISTARCHers.  

Back in 2003 I inquired if anyone out there knew about WW I airfield excavations for a paper that I would present at the 2004 SHA conference concerning early airfield design.  As is typical from this list, I got good advice.  Carl Berna asked that I keep the list informed about what I know.  Here goes.

I know nothing.  Of that I'm sure.  However, I am convinced that surviving photographs exist that demonstrate the following:

1) Early airfields were layed out in simple geometric designs.

2) Prior to 1913 all nations used some sort of a linear design.  With so few aircraft in any one area, a few buildings beside one another with open ground where the machines could land (less than 1000 ft. long) in front of them was all that was needed.

3) After 1914 the British built on and expanded the linear design.  Photographs from Egypt, Palistine, England, Afganistan, Canada etc. all show this.

4) After entering the War, the United States adopted the British design.

5) The French developed a rectangular or open "L" design where two sides of the landing field were outlined by structures. 

6) The Germans experimented with a wider assortment of designs before settleing on a circular or enclosed design.  The structures surrounded the landing field.

7) In the 1920s, the U.S. started constructing circular design airfields with the structures in the center and the landing field around them, like a doughnut.  A reversal, if you will, of the German concept.

I believe that WW I pilots viewed the German design as more efficient, as aviation became a permanent fixture of the modern military.

I am still conducting background checks, but plan to start writing a paper, before the summer, for publication outlining in more detail my conclusions.  As a consequence, I'm giving advanced warning that I will be posting to the list for additional help as questions come to mind. In closing, I apologize for my spelling, the spell check apparently does not want to work today. 

I would like to thank everyone on the list for thier assistance and patience,

William E. McAlexander Jr.    

ATOM RSS1 RSS2