From:
Lindsey Orcutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 18:42:48 -0800
John Smyth wrote:

>>I think "propulsion" is precisely the problem, which often translates,
>>for me at least, into boredom.
>
>I can't believe what I am reading!

Neither can I...I've been in love with Brahms' music for a long time...
But it *did* take a long while for me to come to appreciate it.

>looking for--seamless.  Brahms conceals the interlocking parts so well,
>(art concealing art), that I am willing to bet that these gentlemen are not
>yet aware of the forward motion, or propulsion in music that has gained the
>respect and admiration of academians and laymen for a *long* time.
>
>Have someone that knows these works well coach you through them--I have
>gained much appreciation of difficult music in this way.

My full appreciation for the 4th symphony, my favorite, came after I
wrote a LONG research paper on it:  I studied and analysed it in depth,
especially the finale (the chaconne) and read and read and read about
Brahms and the set of letters from him to Clara Schumann (a fascinating
read, if you haven't had a chance to read them!).

It occurs to me that liking, or loving, Brahms may have something to do
with one's appreciation or love of Bach.  A former boyfriend of mine once
said he thought Brahms too "bombastic" and he could never really get into
Brahms' works.  Incidentally, he wasn't a really big fan of Bach, either.
I adore them both.  Anyone else had this experience?

-Lindsey Orcutt