From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:59:57 -0600
I always asked to me why so many good composers who deserve to be
recognaize, are not recognaize at all .And why so many "famous",wich it
works are really an ofense to our ears?.(of course this opinion come from
a "troglodite"musician who things trascendental music ends up to
Prokoffieff,Debussy, Some Strawinsky,some Messiaen,etc.).

I remember When i was doing my M of Arts,at Brooklyn College, among my
theoretycal asignatures,was a 20 century Music.And i remember(it was in
1,981)was a big discussion when i spoke about Heitor Villalobos.  Maybe
the 80% of the class,were against him,the arguments? = technique.They say
Villalobos was an emphiric composer, with a few (or not at all) Knowledge
of what composition is,etc.  Then that 80% compare Villalobos work with a
Famous Composers of " our times",most of them were from United States of
North America,and few from Europe like Stockhausen,Luciano berio, and
Luiggi nono.Of course the poor Villalobos resulted like a recicled product.
And my only argument was:Why don't you ask the opinion to the people who
goes to the concerts,and enjoy his music?  I don't thing they were worried
about more or less technique than Stockhausen,or any other of the "great ".
For me,after make a big intellectual effort,or not in write some music,wich
is important,is how it sounds.  Would you imagine what i think of a piece
who has no sound?.

At that time i was making a homework who consist in make an Analysis of
the Galliard, and the Pas de deux from AGON ballet suite from Strawinsky.
Well, i was speaking about Villalobos.  You can easily imagine what can
be the opinion of that people towards the music from composers who are
unknown.  I listen music from composers of South America,who deserve to be
edited an listen overseas,more than some"famous" music.Of course i suppose
the same thing can happen with composers from Yugoslavia, Croacia,
Thailandia, Australia, Paraguay, India, etc..  Thank you very much Thanh
for your information,i hope some people who are strongly involve with
composition,will take a profit of your information.

Best wishes.
Gerardo Constantini:.