From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 12:49:45 -0800
Craig Schlegelmilch ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>...  For a series of recordings
one in the late 60's, they sound great.  They are a little hollow sounding
but have a warmth that gold-standard recordings of the same pieces (like
the Dutoit/MSO '85 version of Rite) seem to lack. ...

Have you ever heard any of the Chesky-remastered Reader's Digest
recordings from the 1960s? Horenstein's 1962 Brahms 1, for instance,
sounds astonishing.  And the performance beats most hands down.

>Oh ya, if you're looking for an alternative from Bernstein/LSO or the
>Solti/Chicago Symphony, the 1990 von Dohnanyi/Clevaland symphony version
>of Mahler's First is beautiful.  While it pains me to say it, I love this
>version far better than any Bernstein or Solti recording of this symphony
>that I've heard.

If you know a Bernstein/LSO you'd better tell us about it.  I assume you
mean either the Benstein/NYPO (Sony) or the Concertgebouw (DG).  Solti's
CSO Mahler 1 is a total non-starter, not in the same class as his own LSO
(1964) version.  Dohnanyi is OK if you can stay awake.

And none of them holds a candle to Kubelik or Horenstein.

Deryk Barker