From:
John Detwiler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 15:39:48 EST
I'm extremely lucky that my father is owns a mail-order record business
(unfortunately not CM, he's got jazz, which is cool, and pop, rock,
country, etc.).  Even though he does not sell CM, he still receives quite
a bit from "buying in bulk"...  he buys boxes full for very low prices, and
almost always makes up the cost in a few rare records.  So just yesterday,
my dad got about one-hundred fifty CM albums out of 700 total.  Although
much was junk (excerpts, etc.), there were quite a few pieces which I
did not know, and one which particularly caught my eye.  I have a world
premiere recording of Tchaikovsky's 7th symphony...  (I smirk as I type
this).  It's in Eb, and was recorded in 1962 by Eugene Ormandy and the
Philadelphia Orchestra.  It was reconstructed from sketches by a Russian
composer, Semyon Bogatyryev.  I haven't yet listened to it, but I'm
curious...  has anyone heard of this? If so, how accurate is the
reconstruction, and how good is the piece? I would assume it was not
so good, since it hasn't been accepted into standard repertoire (as has
Mahler's tenth), and has probably gone the way of the reconstruction of
Beethoven's Tenth.  I'm looking forward to hearing it, though.

~John~