From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2006 09:50:05 -0500
Dave Lampson wrote:

>Here's another that might qualify: Dello Joio's Variants on a Mediaeval
>Tune for Wind Orchestra (1963).

Yes, another one that needs to be added...which also reminded me of Dello
Joio's wonderful Antiphonal Fantasy on a theme by Albrici.

Yes, and then one can add the Bach arrangements and then the Lizst
paraphrases...say...no doubt this has been thought of before...but does
classical.net have some way for us to do a sort of wikipedia sort of
thing with such lists?  I have another one I started with works which
point to the visual arts for their inspiration...and then there is Dave
Canfield's list of all of the arrangements of Pictures at an Exhibition,
etc.

So, it not like you have nothing to do Dave...but could such a thing be
possible.

And, on a related note...one topic I have been discussing on the mailing
list of the Association of Recorded Sound collections...without going
into it too terribly much...there is great concern these days that the
cataloging of sound recordings is not well served by the current MARC
format.  MARC, Machine Readable Cataloging is the format used by OCLC
(the major bibliographic utility which posts the cataloging of most of
the major libraries, included Library of Congress...well much of their
stuff).

As someone who loves to explore the repertoire, and who trades with
many other collectors, I have often thought how great it would be if
there would be someplace to share that sort of information...who has
what.  I am not talking about the commercial recordings, but the odd,
possibly somewhat unique airchecks or inhouse concert recordings people
have.  While it could be an expensive project...and involve time to set
it us and decide upon some structure for it...would this be of interest
to people?

Karl