From:
Bernard Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 01:59:49 -0500
David Stewart wrote:

>That reminds me - while we are taking pot shots at VW (one of my favourite
>composers) I find that I can never stay awake until the end of the 3rd
>symphony.  I usually make it to the soprano's bit but not long after that
>I pass out.  I think it is because the music is so comforting and relaxing.
>Then I wake up with a start at the beginning of the 4th (a horrific
>experience indeed) which points out what a stupid idea it is to put 3 and
>4 on the same disc.  Does anyone else have this problem?

ROFL! But seriously, yes I do too. In this particular recording the I have
to program the player to stop. It should be followed by the 5th.

Personally I wouldn't fill CDs so much, but make (eg the VW cycle) one
syphony per disk (at reduced rate of course!).  CDs don't take up much
space when packed sensibly (I have superbly packed set of Bruckner which
has 9 CDs in a cardboard box the size of a thick double CD box and they
are in paper sleeves, much like vinyl is).

After all, you very rarely want to play 2 symphonies by the same composer
without stopping.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software: Music software written by musicians for musicians
Scotland