From:
Simon Corley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 16:36:02 -0800
Christopher Webber wrote:

>Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
>>Richard Pennycuick ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>>
>>>More to the point, last time I looked, one A Hovhaness was bearing down
>>>on Haydn with his usual fecundity into at least the late 50s of his
>>>symphonies.  Does anyone have some more up-to-date knowledge?
>>
>>He has an awfully long way to go. They need to be *good* to qualify.
>
>I never heard a bad one yet.  Which Hovhaness symphony does Mr Barker wish
>to castigate, and why?

I don't think that Deryk needs any help, but...  I was exposed last
year with Hovhaness' Second symphony 'Mysterious Mountain', conducted by
Slatkin.  I don't think that the problem came from Slatkin's performance.
So, without judging Hovhaness' other symphonies, I'd say that this symphony
is like Ives or Messiaen without genius, very scholastic and poorly
orchestrated.

Simon Corley