From:
Bernard Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:42:33 EST
Don Satz wrote in clarification:

>5.  In other words, "eclecticism is the vision", to render classical
>music, to the fullest extent possible, inherently eclectic.

The wholesale criticism of record company management that this thread
has implied is really a cheap shot IMHO.  Many of us have spent working
lifetimes advancing the business interests of our employers with nary a
peep of criticism of the profit goal.  If anything, the broadening of the
market for "classical" product is both a potential aesthetic and profit
benefit to the major product producers in the record business.  Improved
profit of the classical divisions has untold potential benefit to projects
which CM fans really value.  A healthy business produces recordings of all
kinds, a financially sick enterprise frequently produces nothing of lasting
value.  (I recall much history of the record business replete with stories
supporting this statement.) Such crossover ventures may even acquaint some
CM fans with valuable releases beyond their frequently limited musical
horizon.

Bernard Gregoire
Hingham, MA