From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 07:23:31 -0600
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>Charles Barber wrote
>
>>... and don't forget the orchestral works of Lionel Barrymore.
>
>Such as...?  [And, why shouldn't we forget them?  -Dave]

I have tapes of several things...
Barrymore, Lionel       Concerto No.1 for Piano and Orch. (1st mvnt.)

The pianist on this was Paulina Carter...by the way does anyone every know
what happened to her? She was active through the early 50s and then seems
to have disappeared.  She performed with the likes of Monteux and Walter.
A frequent guest on the Standard Hour she had a wide repertoire, performing
things like the Khachaturian Concerto in her early 20s.

Halloween Suite for soloists.  narrator.  chorus and Orch.  conducted by
Miklos Rozsa!

In Memorium for Orch Done by the Cleveland Orch.

Partita for Orch.  Rodzinsky and the New York Phil.

Prelude and Fugue for Orchestra Indianapolis Sym.

Tableaux Russe for Orch.  Written for the film "Dr.  Kildare's Wedding
Day." One of the subplots in the movie concerned a symphony conductor.
During the course of the film Dr.  Gillespie (aka Lionel Barrymore) showed
the conductor some of the music written by a relative...towards the end
of the movie the conductor (now cured of whatever) performs the piece
supposedly written by Dr.  Gillespie's relative...which was actually
written by Dr.  Gillespie (Barrymore).

As I recall Barrymore took composition lessons from Eugene Zador, another
composer relatively lost in time.  My clouded memory recalls reading that
Zador "helped" Barrymore quite a bit with composing.

Karl