ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:30:54 -0700
Subject:
From:
Tom Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Elton,

Here are a few things I've come across working with glow-in-the-dark
exhibits.

It may be that your strobe lamps are overheating.  I'm not familiar
with the model you are using, but some strobes are not designed to
run continuously.  Adding a cooling fan might help.  Using
incandescent lamps, as you have discovered, is a viable option.  The
NY Hall of Science used 150 Watt flood lamps turned on for about 1
second in a small installation many years ago.  These lamps have long
life and are inexpensive.  I'm guessing that your shadow room is
larger if you are using 800 Watt lamps.  You can try moving the
lights closer to the wall, if possible - the inverse square law says
that having the light at half the distance makes it 4 times brighter.

You need to be careful with the phosphor  you use.  Years ago, there
was only one choice - light green vinyl sheets or paint formulated
with Zinc Sulfide.  Hanovia is the usual supplier:

http://www.hanovia-uv.com/glow.html

Today, there are  "high performance" products available based on
Strontium Aluminate. These come in other colors as well.  They do
glow more brightly, but take more light to energize and also have
longer persistence.  They can keep a safety sign lit for hours, but
that makes them a bad bet for you.  For shadow walls and
LightWriters, the old zinc sulfide standby is still the best choice.
I recommend a product from Abet Lumanati called Lumiphos.  It's a
high pressure laminate, much more durable than paint or vinyl - black
heel scuffs can be scrubbed off! -  and it glows almost as well as
Hanovia:

http://www.abet-laminati.it/primapagina/main.asp?inglese=1

Abet is an Italian company. Here's a link to their US distributors:

http://www.abet-laminati.it/primapagina/main.asp?inglese=1

For best effect, shield the shadow room from all ambient light with
curtains or a labyrinthian entry. It's not dangerous or scary, since
the room won't be totally dark with the wall glowing.

Happy glowing,

Tom Nielsen
The Exhibit Guys Inc.