From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 13:30:42 -0500
My New Year's Day was highlighted, as usual, by the (tele-)vision of the
VPO, under Maazel, doing honors to the day.  This time around it marked not
only the annual event but also ten years of it under Maazel.  For my euro,
he still hasn't managed to turn into a Willy Boskowski, but the orchestra,
at any rate, was totally enStraussing.  It was in fitting Strauss fashion,
however, Maazel led the orchestra in four numbers while himself playing
an instrument, in two of the numbers a drum and, in the other two, a 1572
stradivari.  Not bad at all!--especially his rendering of the Waltzer a la
Paganini.  Quite striking, too, the ballet inserts, all to Strauss music
played by the VPO, but choreographed by John Neumeier and synchro-danced
at Vienna locations other than the Musikvereinsaal.  As usual, the decor
was impressive, the auditorium bedizened in flora, and the dancers, except
the one shaved head in the black jeans and black t-shirt, superbly garbed
by a costume designer whose name I failed, alas, to catch in the credits.
Lighting by bohemian glass chandeliers.  But then, no less would seem to be
required when wishing this august list a lusty Prosit Neujahr!  (It says
here.)

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]