ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeremy Stoller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:08:35 -0800

And if science is atheistic (which I think it clearly is), what then? Should
we still tell the public? It might clear things up, but will it help? And
what will it do to our funding?

Science seems oblivious or confused because most scientists (including T.H.
Huxley) don't want to rock the boat too much. They tap dance around the
issue like politicians during an election year. I can't say I blame them,
since the consequences of honest communication are potentially disastrous
(at least in this country). According to the latest Gallup polls, less then
half of all Americans say they'd be willing to vote for an otherwise
qualified presidential candidate who happened to be an atheist, and 84%
don't think the country is ready for an atheist in the white house. What
would those people do if science came out of the closet and proclaimed its
atheism? Then again, our current tactics don't seem to be working very well
either.

So what do we do? Shall we stand strong and proudly declare: "SCIENCE DOES
NOT RECOGNIZE THE EXISTENCE OF ANY SUPERNATURAL AGENTS!" I'm all for it, but
again, what will it do to our funding? Will people respect us for our
honesty or hate us for devaluing their faith? Should we take the hit now and
hope it makes things better for science in the long run? Can we even take
the hit, or would it destroy our institutions before the long-term benefits
are realized? Do we play it safe, or stand by our principles regardless of
the consequences?

I'm not entirely sure what the answers are, but I'm glad to see it discussed
on this forum.
--
Jeremy Stoller
Senior Graphic Artist