ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lath Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:09:18 -0500

How we would do this in our graphics shop would be to first layout the
entire graphic in a graphics editing program and add the cut lines. Then
we would separate out each piece as its own graphic with a bleed around
it (1/4"-1/2"). We would then print the graphics with an inkjet printer
onto transparent, adhesive backed, vinyl. Then we would put what is
called an overlam on the face of it, an overlam is a thin layer Lexan
(10mil) applied with a laminating machine. Finally we would apply the
graphics to puzzle pieces cutout of 1/8"-1/4" Lexan and trim off the
excess using a beveled cut to keep people from picking at it. If you are
looking to cut costs you could make the Lexan puzzle pieces yourself,
and do the graphics layouts, then just have a sign shop output the
graphics with the overlam. Good luck.

Lath Carlson

Manager of Interactive Technology
Art Guild Inc.