HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Daniel Carlini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 2009 22:40:45 -0700
Hello,

My name is Daniel Carlini, and I am a Graduate Student at
the University of Idaho. I am currently in a Historical Archaeology Lab
class taught by Professor Stacey Camp. We were given artifacts to
catalog and analyze, from Fort Spokane, in Eastern Washington. The
occupation of the Fort was from 1880 to 1929. It started as a military
Fort and later became a boarding school for Indian children in 1899. It
was transformed into a tuberculosis santarium and Indian Hospital in
1914. I am sending this email to see if anyone would mind helping me
identify a certain pattern on a button that was found from a dump on
the site.   The design appears
to show a bird diving, and a rabbit running toward a hole in a tree.
The button is around 24 ligne in diameter and considered "small." It
appears to be made out of some copper alloy on the front and an iron
material on back. The manufacturing technique was cast. This button had
a shank, but is missing. I would greatly appreciate any help
identifying this button. This is a re-post, and I have supplied pictures of the button.

 http://archaeoseek.ning.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=3s5rw7mih7thl&uploaded=1

Thank you,

Daniel Carlini