HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Caryn M. Berg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 2009 22:38:31 -0600
Join us at the SAAs - meet Jim Adovasio and Tom King!

 Left Coast Press invites you to meet authors Jim Adovasio and Tom King and
have your copies of their latest books signed!

LOCATION: At the Left Coast Press Booth

The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory

J. M. Adovasio, Jake Page, and Olga Soffer

Thursday, April 23,  11 am - 12 noon

Shaped by cartoons and museum dioramas, our vision of Paleolithic times
tends to feature fur-clad male hunters fearlessly attacking mammoths while
timid women hover fearfully behind a boulder. Recent archaeological research
has shown that this vision bears little relation to reality. J. M. Adovasio
and Olga Soffer present an exciting new look at prehistory. With science
writer Jake Page, they argue that women invented many critical materials and
played a central role in the development of language and social life-in
short, in our becoming human. In this eye-opening book, a new story about
women in prehistory emerges with provocative implications for our
assumptions about gender today.

Our Unprotected Heritage: Whitewashing the Destruction of Our Cultural and
Natural Environment

Thomas F. King

Friday, April 24 10-11 am

Most Americans agree that our heritage-both natural and cultural-should be
protected. Then why does development proceed unabated, aided-rather than
limited-by government actions? In this hard-hitting critique of the
heritage-industrial complex, King points the finger at watchdogs who serve
as advocates for development, unintelligible (often contradictory)
regulations, uninvolved government officials, and power-seeking agencies,
who together keep our heritage unprotected.

Caryn M. Berg, Ph.D.

Marketing, Archaeology

Left Coast Press

www.lcoastpress.com <http://www.lcoastpress.com/>