HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:31:00 -0500
C'mon, folks, these snarky replies are sorta mean. While I would agree that
some Catherine's replies to various bits of well-meaning advice were a tad
high-handed, they didn't deserve this sort of response. To her credit,
rather than simply ignoring the suggestions that didn't apply to her
situation, she took all suggestions seriously and answered in detail. Most
of us haven't gone down this road before, and there was good information in
most of the postings, whether they were relevant to her original query or
not.

That being said, another issue I'd like to put on the table is to point out
that writing fiction based on archaeological research is a legitimate PUBLIC
ARCHAEOLOGY activity, worthy of both DOING and ANALYSING.  As can be seen
from this thread, it is a difficult enterprise. How can we encourage our
colleagues who are trying to do this? How can we encourage our publics to
read it? How can we evaluate whether it is successful in countering all of
the myths and stereotypes about archaeology?

Related to this...does anyone know of any creative writing programs
affiliated with archaeological sites? It's an area I've considered
developing as part of my site's PA efforts, but it would be great to have
some good examples if others have already attempted this.

Anyway, kudos to Catherine, and anyone else who makes the attempt to enter
this very challenging area of publishing. You are doing good public
archaeology.

cheers,
carol

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
Project Director, Public Archaeology, Yates Community Archaeology Project
Adjunct Asst. Professor, University of Houston
1638 Branard
Houston, TX 77006
www.webarchaeology.com
www.publicarchaeology.org