HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mitch Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:34:44 -0700
Thanks for the plug, Cami, but I think Cathy is looking for a trade publisher. We specifically focus on books for professionals, academics and students in archaeology and related subjects. While they're all novel readers too, I don't think that's what Cathy has in mind. That doesn't stop me from receiving about 5 proposals a month for novels, self-help books, discurses on how the author discovered god (or the internet), investigative prison poetry (sic), etc.

There are, unfortunately, far more writers out there than publishers. It's a tough game to get into, if you're trying to get your fiction placed with a major trade press. There are other alternatives-- lots of small presses who will might the chance on your work but haven't a hope of getting you on Oprah. Literary Market Place or Writer's Market would be the best places to look for them. Better is if you have a connection to someone already being published by a trade press (or dealing with an agent) who can provide the introductions.

That being said, there are still about 200,000 books being published in the US each year (we do 50-60). So getting published is clearly not impossible.

If you're really entrepreneurial, you might try the electronic self publishing route, no longer very expensive or difficult, through places like Lulu or Xlibris. This would make the book available and cost you only a couple hundred dollars, but it would be up to you to hustle bookbuyers. The good thing about those sites is that they do not take exclusive rights to the book so  you are still free to try to sell the book to a regular publisher.

We are, though, publishing plenty of historical archaeology. Would welcome proposals in that area...
best
Mitch Allen
Publisher
Left Coast Press, Inc.

Cami McCraw <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Hi Cathy,
  Try this site, out of California. They are very nice! (We have DVDs that I
would love to see picked up by someone -- we don't have a book though.)
www.LCoastPress.com

Good luck to you,
Cami McCraw
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/NewChronology/