HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:46:06 -0500
Pat,

Thank you for the accolade ... they are always appreciated :)  I had a few
minutes of leisure on a placid Sunday morning to burn whilst having coffee,
and I had an interest in buttons (and too, I already had the advantage of an
earlier interest in, and acquaintence with, the Wallis/Wallace family,
having dated a 5x-great-grand-daughter for a while ... decades ago).
However, I must take the opportunity to (once again) credit the fantastic
new resource that is Google Books.

This project, steadily scanning the troves of ancient tomes in faraway
libraries ... some of whose covers have not been opened in a century ... is
like having online access to a resource that I imagine tantamount to a
modern-day Library of Alexander. Google is spending billions to scan
millions of rare and obscure publications and put them online for instant
(and searchable) access. Many of the older, rarer volumes (out of copyright)
are available in full-text, from cover-to-cover ... and you can download a
keeper copy (in PDF) for FREE. Any historian or historical archaeologist who
has not learned to use this fantastic resource is doing herself/himself a
great disservice and deprivation.

http://books.google.com/bkshp?tab=wp

~Bob

full disclosure: i was invested in Google's IPO, but to my shame, i sold-out
and allowed my Roth account to take a huge gain BEFORE the truly meteoric
rise in stock price; i now have no monetary interest in Google beyond the
nostalgic reminiscence that the company appears to be spending the billions
they made on some fairly worthwhile projects of great utility to
archaeologists (three of which I use almost every day ... Google Books,
Google Earth, Google Patents).